Friday, December 11, 2009

Care Packages

This morning I was able to chat "live" with a friend who is thousands of miles away, serving as a soldier in Iraq. Since I had been preparing a care package for Christmas, I asked if he needed anything in specific.

What struck me most in his response was that it spoke to our deepest needs as people. It was not secret recipe cookies, toiletries, or armor. Nor was it entertainment articles or reading.

Quite simply he said, " I miss my friends".

Since I can't quite figure out how to stuff myself into box to mail, I'll be sending the usual sorts of goodies plus prayers. I send my greater understanding of what our armed forces really need and cannot find: the human touch and relationship outside of war.

Merry Christmas to our armed forces, keeping watch at all posts around the world.
Come home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment