Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 10: I Ride the Fences

I have made note, during this program, of when one is losing such a small bit of mass....1/2 to 1 pound per week, it is difficult to measure. I have no Jenny Craig moments of "I lost 36 pounds in 6 weeks and it was FANTASTIC!". I wear the same sized jeans, albeit there does seem to be a bit more wiggle room in them. I'm still cooking for a family, including desserts.And I'm still working out, in a group twice a week and on my own. I walk, I bike, I park far away from the grocery store doors and wonder...is any of this working?

This past weekend, my husband and I had the rare treat of a whole day together. We decided to give the horses their first spring grooming and training as our "date". Easter Sunday was a spectacular day full of sunshine, warmth, and believe it or not, not a breath of wind.

The horses were frisky, but as we brushed and gave treats, they seemed to realize training day was on. As a novice rider, I am still clumsy, yet competent at putting on the halter, getting the bits in mouths, and blanketing and saddling up. With everything checked and water in the saddle bags, we mounted up.

It was a great moment in my body. My great white horse (who claims NO draft horse, but must stand 16 hands and husky) is no easy mount. My stirrup hits me in the belly when I stand next to him, and I am not accustomed to my heel being up near my belly in the standing position.

Nevertheless, solo, I put my toe in and lifted myself into the saddle in one swift, tottering movement. I was elated! Turns out, more than just decreasing body mass, I have been increasing muscle mass, stamina, and flexibility. THOSE are things I can use for a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment