Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 11: Part Two, The Mother In Law Test

A short but sweet moment this week was when my mother-in-law, offering to cook dinner on Mother's Day, asked if I would please bring the mashed potatoes. As in the mashed potatoes that I had anguished over at Easter, full of good things like salt, and pepper, and low-fat sour cream, sans the stick of yellow-rich butter. Those potatoes.

They were simply delicious, like none other, said she. I felt both honored and relieved. Honored that my food would join hers at the dinner table and relieved that my slight of hand, thought by me to be less than perfect, was now a family preference.

I'll take victories, however small!

1 comment:

  1. Heather: You have to listen to radiolab.org episode called "Help". It is about how we win the battle with ourselves to achieve what we want. I won't say much more than that, but you can easily listen to it on your computer and you'll love it I'm sure. Miss you and love you.B

    ReplyDelete