Saturday, November 13, 2010

November to Remember: Mixed Blessings

I have a nephew with a narcotic addiction. He's 15 and has struggled since he was about 10. He is a frequent user and is tested at school four times per week and in counseling, youth court, and at the doctor more days than not. One may think that perhaps his physical circumstances have been challenging, but in fact, he's had every available "hierarchy of needs" resource, in spades.

His is a condition, in my estimation, is in fact one of a very broken heart. You see, his mother died of prescription drug overdose when he was just a toddler. He has been in the care of his doting grandparents since. It's no substitution for a mom, however dysfunctional. The pain seems so deep he's unable to detect it, except in random outbursts of rage and breaking things. Including his grandparents' heart.

In this month, I am thankful for this opportunity to be part of a family that rallies on his behalf. I am thankful for places that support healing and recovery, sobriety and wholeness.

I am thankful that I am learning to be open to how and to whom and when healing occurs. My nephew's addiction is an indicator of something systemic in the family, so I'm anticipating holistic change. I am thankful for Jehovah Rophi, "God heals."

No comments:

Post a Comment