Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Book #1: Outwitting Squirrels, Second Edition

The sub-title, by Bill Adler, Jr., aptly gives the plot away: "101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Bird feeder by Squirrels." It could, quite aptly, also describe a lot of taxpayer sentiment towards their representation in D.C. THAT book has not hit the bookshelves however, and I shall keep my comments to the former.

Firstly, the book was a freebie at a garage sale here in town. I had nothing to lose on a bad read, so I was pleasantly surprised at my amusement in the reading. I knew nothing of squirrel behavior and probably would classify myself as an amused observer of all squirrel antics. (I have, and there are photos to prove it--gasp--, inadvertently fed a chipmunk in a national park.) Since I live in a home surrounded by fruit and softwood trees, however, I find myself really loving the songs of the day that come from the branches. Additionally, the development of a woodpecker family next just near the front porch had piqued my interest in feed some additional delights to enhance the accommodations of my feathered neighbors.

Secondly, it is equal parts laughter and science. On the laughter side, Chapter 8 lists among the 101 Stratagems, "Dig a moat around your feeder. Fill it with piranha" and conversely, "Employ patent #4637164 for a squirrel guard by inventor Harold O. Brown." On the science side, or rather scientific method side, Chapter 5 rates the top "squirrel proof" feeders on the market.

Filled with anecdotal remedies such as Teflon spray to coat wires and poles to just providing a feeder FOR squirrels as they are just plain lazy and will fall for an easy diversion, it is a good read on man vs. nature.

I will have a 3 star rating for this summer reading program. I give it 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment